9.11.10

This man is responsible for iconic imagery, set and costume design

Sir Cecil Beaton, infinite jester (1904-80)



"All I want is the best of everything and there's very little of that left."



Selected filmography and Beaton's quotes:

Major Barbara, 1941


"Perhaps the world's second-worst crime is boredom, the first is being a bore."





An Ideal Husband, 1947



"I have the worst ear for criticism, even when I have created a stage set I like, I always hear the woman in the back of the dress circle, who says she doesn't like blue."

 


 
Gigi, 1958
 


"More varied than any landscape was the landscape in the sky, with islands of gold and silver, peninsulas of apricot and rose against a background of many shades of turquoise and azure."










Stills by Cecil Beaton







My Fair Lady, 1964



"Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary."







Stills and production design sketches by Beaton















Share/Bookmark
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...